There is only one major requirement for the GarageBand app. You should have either a Mac or iOS device. Now, when it comes to Mac, GarageBand app supports almost every Mac device you can buy. Be it a quite lightweight MacBook Air or the super-powered MacBook Pro; the app should work fine in your device. Before we talk about how you can bring GarageBand to your Windows PC, we should talk about how to use GarageBand on Mac. When it comes to Windows, you can download GarageBand for Windows Vista, 7, 8 and 10. It means all our methods have the best results in terms of compatibility as well.
Installation of GarageBand in macOS Sierra
Suppose your Mac does not have GarageBand installed by default. In that case, you can follow the steps we have given below to install GarageBand on your Mac.
App Store is the most official and trusted place to download GarageBand for Mac from. So, we will follow a trusted method itself.
1. You have to open App Store on your Mac
2. Using the Search Bar, perform a search for GarageBand
3. You will be able to find GarageBand as the first result. Click on it to proceed
4. Now, click on the ‘Get App’ button and press Install
5. Wait while App Store downloads and installs the latest version of GarageBand on your Mac
6. The installation file size might be around 1GB. It may take a few minutes
Once you are done, you will be able to find GarageBand in the Applications folder. You can start the program to create music seamlessly.
How to Get GarageBand on Windows PC/Laptop?
There is no official version of GarageBand that is available for Microsoft Windows. So, technically, you won’t be able to install GarageBand on your Windows PC — at least not like you install a simple Windows program. Chances are very low that Apple will be releasing an official Windows version of GarageBand any sooner.
It is because of the existing rivalry between Apple and Microsoft and Apple’s nature of keeping a more closed ecosystem. So, you should not wait to download GarageBand for PC any sooner. It will not happen if you wait for years, for that matter.
However, there are a few ways to use GarageBand on Windows PC without hassle. We will take a look at a few of the most effective methods to do so. After this, we will also show you the steps to install GarageBand on your Windows PC, using one of the following methods.
Method #1 — Use Remote Desktop Control to Access GarageBand on Windows
You can use this method to access GarageBand for your PC if you have a spare Mac. The idea is to use one of the best remote desktop solutions out there. Of course, you need a powerful internet connection as well. It should be done if you need the smooth rendering of the GarageBand interface. To do this, you will have to follow some simple steps, you know.
- First, you have to install Google Chrome on your Windows PC and the Mac you are going to use.
- Once you are done, you have to download an extension named Chrome Remote Desktop and install it on both the devices. The extension can be downloaded from Chrome Web Store
- Once installed, you can launch Chrome Remote Desktop on both Chrome windows.
- From the Mac, you have to collect the code that is shown on the window.
- Now, go to the Windows PC and enter the code to connect to the Mac.
Voila, you have connected to the Mac successfully. Now, the steps are very simple. Go ahead and launch the GarageBand app on the Mac using your Windows. Since Chrome Remote Desktop transfers audio, you will be able to use the GarageBand app without hassle as well. Compared to the other remote desktop solutions, Chrome Remote Desktop is faster and doesn’t consume much internet resources.
So, if you have a spare Mac and you want to access GarageBand on your Windows PC, you have to check out this method. It works, cent per cent, but there are downsides too.
Method #2 — Use an iOS Emulator Like iPadian to Access GarageBand on Windows
Compared to the first method, this one is quite better. In this case, we are going to use an iOS Simulator app for Windows. In case you did not know, an iOS simulator app creates a virtual iOS device inside your Windows PC. So, as it happens, you will be able to access iOS device and install apps on it. Didn’t we say that you can download the official version of GarageBand for iOS? That’s going to come in handy now, you know.
Now, there is a number of iOS simulators you can check out today. However, we recommend going for a tool like iPadian, which is a popular iOS simulator that is available for Mac and Windows. It has a free plan that doesn’t cost you anything. However, if you are looking for advanced features, you can choose other emulator programs as well.
Installation of GarageBand App
Now, we will show you the best way to install GarageBand on Windows PC. We are going to use the second method we listed above. The major steps involved are as follows.
- You have to download and install iPadian in your Windows PC.
- Once the installation is done, you will be able to start the virtual iOS device inside your Windows PC
- Now, you have to simply follow the steps you will follow on an iPad
- Go to the App Store and download GarageBand for iOS. As we said, it’s completely free to download and use.
That’s it, folks. So, this is how you can download GarageBand for PC and use it on your Windows device. You will be able to use GarageBand with all the features. The best part is that you don’t have to compromise performance. This method lets you use GarageBand on Windows with all the features as well as speed.